Join Us on Facebook

Deciding If Anxiety Medication Is Right For You


If you’re trying to decide whether or not to treat your anxiety with medication, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons in conjunction with your doctor.
 It’s also important to learn about the common side effects of the anxiety medication you are considering. Side effects of anxiety medication range from mild nuisances such as dry mouth to more severe problems such as acute nausea or pronounced weight gain. For any anxiety medication, you will have to balance the side effects against the benefits.
Questions to ask yourself and a mental health professional
§  Is medication the best option for my anxiety problem?
§  Am I willing to put up with unpleasant side effects in return for anxiety relief?
§  What non-drug treatments for anxiety might help?
§  Do I have the time and am I willing to pursue non-drug treatments such as cognitive-behavioral therapy?
§  What self-help strategies might help me get my anxiety under control?
§  If I decide to take anxiety medication, should I pursue other therapy as well?

Questions to ask your doctor
§  How will the medication help my anxiety?
§  What are the drug’s common side effects?
§  Are there any food and drinks I will need to avoid?
§  How will this drug interact with my other prescriptions?
§  How long will I have to take the anxiety medication?
§  Will withdrawing from the medication be difficult?
§  Will my anxiety return when I stop taking the medication?

No comments:

Post a Comment